Husband, wife who survived Las Vegas shooting die in crash

first_img SHARE Husband, wife who survived Las Vegas shooting die in crash Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Published: October 30, 2017 10:39 PM EDT center_img LAS VEGAS (AP) A husband and wife from California who survived the mass shooting at a Las Vegas country music festival died several weeks after the Oct. 1 massacre in an auto crash.The Las Vegas Review-Journal reports that Dennis and Lorraine Carver died after their vehicle crashed into a metal gate outside their community in Riverside County, California, and burst into flames on Oct. 16.At the music festival, Dennis Carver jumped on top of his wife to shield her from bullets. They managed to run away from the shooting and were not injured.Brooke Carver, the couple’s 20-year-old daughter, says her parents had grown deeper in love in the weeks after the shooting.The Carvers had been together for 22 years. Author: Associated Press last_img read more

Continue reading

Managing partners urge 40% female leader target

first_imgLaw firm chiefs have called for females to account for 40% of business unit leaders within the next three years, on the day women’s rights are marked across the globe.A survey conducted by the Managing Partners Forum shows that women hold 16% of chief executive posts, 27% of business unit leader roles and 46% of functional management leadership roles at professional services firms.Surveyed firms’ three-year projections indicate that the female CEO ratio will increase to 28%, 36% of women will be business leaders and just over half of function management roles will be gender-neutral.Two-thirds of the respondents were law firms.Managing Partners Forum chair Michael Strong said the projections were ‘encouraging’.But the forum has called on boards to raise the female business unit leaders target to 40%. It believes this will help firms to achieve a 30% target for female chief executives.The findings were published the day after West London law firm IBB Solicitors announced that Joanna Debiase (pictured) will become managing partner from 1 May.Debiase, who became a partner at the firm in 2009, is currently operations partner and compliance officer for legal practice.Last month one of the biggest and oldest law firms in the Midlands, Wright Hassall, announced that it had appointed Sarah Perry as its first female managing partner.The forum’s research shows that women are more likely to have primary responsibility for learning, HR, knowledge and communications.Men will have primary responsibility for finance, technology, strategy and sales.Responsibility for marketing, digital, business development, facilities, operations and risk functions tend to be gender-neutral.last_img read more

Continue reading

Libya’s National Oil Corporation to resume exports from key ports

first_imgTension over oil terminals in Libya is continuing.However, the country’s National Oil Corporation has plans to resume exports from the contested ports. The oil company says it’s assessing the damages and will carry out any repairs immediately. Forces loyal to rebel commander Khalifa Haftar have seized four of Libya’s key terminals from the UN-backed government. Haftar doesn’t recognise the Tripoli administration.The government has called for urgent talks, to try to quell the tensions.last_img read more

Continue reading

Eritrea contend desert locust outbreak with strong measures

first_imgUN says South Sudan at risk of desert locust invasion FAO warns of desert locust outbreak in east Africa FILE PHOTO: A desert locust feeds on crops in Laghouat, Algeria, July 29, 2004. Picture taken July 29, 2004. REUTERS/Louafi Larbi/File Photo FILE PHOTO: A desert locust feeds on crops in Laghouat, Algeria, July 29, 2004. Picture taken July 29, 2004. REUTERS/Louafi Larbi/File PhotoThe Eritrean government on Saturday said that it’s undertaking strong measures to contend the adverse impacts of the desert locust outbreak as the swarm wreaked havoc across the Horn of Africa, threatening food security.“As part and parcel of its robust programs of food security and in view of perennial threats of locust infestation, the Ministry of Agriculture has developed sturdy mechanisms of prevention and control of the scourge,” the Eritrean Ministry of Agriculture (MoA) disclosed in a statement issued Saturday.The ministry also stressed that it has put in place ground operation systems of early warning for periodic monitoring of the locust breeding seasons, as well as the mobilization of manpower and several strategic outlays to survey and control breeding areas before the spread of a possible outbreak.“Eritrea’s vast breeding area is a threat for itself and other neighboring countries. Throughout the years, MOA has designed effective strategies and action plans to prevent potential damage. The Ministry has also a contingency plan for broader operations,” the statement read.Desert locust infestation has been rapidly spreading through the Horn of Africa in the past months, in which the unprecedented spread of the swarms have posed a serious threat to the region’s food security, according to the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO).The Eritrean ministry of agriculture also stressed that its “giving primary focus to prevention of local upsurges as Eritrea’s geographical composition is conducive for pest breeding,” while undertaking “proactive measures to deter locust breeding at the initial stages and thereby eliminate resultant incursion of swarms to the hinterland as well as neighboring countries.”“No locust swarms have ever spread from the breeding areas to other parts of Eritrea, nor to neighboring countries,” the statement quoted Huruy Asghedom, Director General of Agricultural Extension at the ministry, as saying.Noting that Eritrea’s seashores are recession areas for some pests, the ministry stressed that its control and prevention initiatives envisaged restraining the spread of desert locust swarms through its Migratory Pest Control Units arrayed all over the areas that are prone to infestation.The Eritrean Migratory Pests Control Unit had recently announced that desert locust control operation is underway in Eritrea’s Northern Red Sea Region, in which more than 32,000 hectares of land infested with desert locust have been treated effectively so far.Relatedcenter_img Strict Measures Implemented as W.H.O Warns Ebola Outbreak Could Last Monthslast_img read more

Continue reading

Organized crime identified as major threat to national security

first_img Programme Manager at the Caribbean Criminal Assets Recovery Programme (CCARP) Eamon KearneyProgramme manager at the Caribbean Criminal Assets Recovery Programme (CCARP) Eamon Kearney, has identified serious organized crimes as a threat to national security.Speaking at the eighth annual regional Proceeds of Crime conference in Dominica, in which fifty-two law enforcement and legal practitioners from 18 countries are attending, Kearney warned that serious organized crimes, continues to discourage investment.The conference which is hosted and organized by the Financial Intelligence Unit of Dominica, will deal with confiscation preparation of a prosecutor’s statement and investigating and prosecuting for money laundering.“Serious organized crime threatens national security by fueling violence, creating instability and weakening governance”.“In doing so, it possess a significant threat to prosperity, threatening economic growth by discouraging inward investment and creating barriers to business all of which is important during this time of economic downturn,” he said.He noted that financial gain is very often the motive behind serious and organized crime and added that criminals fight harder to protect their assets from confiscation so as to avoid a prison sentence.Attorney General Levi PeterTherefore, according to Kearney, having a robust assets recovery regime in place sends a very clear message to those engaged in serious organized crime that they will not profit from their criminality.This, he said, acts as a demotivating factor for criminals not to pursue such activity.“It will also deter impressionable young people from being lured into crime by material trappings of a criminal lifestyle”.“Less serious crime should result in less violence thereby creating a greater safer, secure environment for the law abiding citizens and ultimately bring more prosperity to them,” he noted.Meanwhile, Attorney General Levi Peter who represented Prime Minister Roosevelt Skerrit at the Wednesday’s conference said the Proceeds of Crime Act approved by the Dominica Parliament recently, is “a very important aspect of our criminal landscape”.He said people generally commit crimes that involve financial reward for that acquisitive purpose.“If you remove that benefit, there is less incentive to commit the serious crimes that our region is becoming increasingly afflicted by, to a greater or lesser extent, each and every one of our jurisdiction is being affected by criminal activity”.Peter also noted that the amendments to the Proceeds of Crime Act last year is among several ways Dominica is dealing with the issue as criminals “are becoming more and more bold”.“The Dominica approach has been to do all that we can from a government perspective to bolster the tools to fight this criminal activity by enhancing the legislation to support those engaged in law enforcement”.The seven independent countries of the Eastern Caribbean, along with Belize, Guyana, Jamaica and Montserrat are participating in this two day conference.Dominica Vibes News 55 Views   no discussions LocalNews Organized crime identified as major threat to national security by: – April 9, 2014last_img read more

Continue reading

Famed coach resides in SPI

first_imgMemories. Jim Helms of the 1961 San Benito Greyhounds is shown inside his South Padre Island home displaying memorabilia acquired during that dream season. (Staff photo by Ray Quiroga)By FRANCISCO E. JIMENEZSpecial to the PRESSThis year marks the 50th anniversary of the historic campaign of the 1961 San Benito Greyhound foot­ball team, an unforgettable squad of savvy go-getters who came a game shy of reaching the state champi­onship game.That year, the team set the bar for generations of Greyhound football as the epitome San Benito sports. In 1961, among the ’Hounds star players were halfback Ray Saldaña and All-State halfback Jim Helms.The latter of who has seen his fair share of suc­cess on the football field since. “Back in that time, it was more of a power run­ning game, so you had to be more of a power back. That kind of transformed into being more of a scatback. It was kind of a combina­tion of a powerback and a scatback,” said Helms, who now resides on South Padre Island. “(Greyhound football) hasn’t really changed, as far as the en­thusiasm. I think the town is still as enthused about it as it’s always been. Obvi­ously the players change, they get bigger, stronger and faster than what they used to be. As far as the town and the enthusiasm, I think it’s still there.”To see this story in print, pick up a copy of the July 18 edition of the Port Isabel South Padre Press or check out our E-edition by clicking here. RelatedTHREE-PEAT: Murchison Wins 3rd Straight Athlete of the YearBy LARRY GAGE Special to the PRESS Port Isabel High graduating senior Daniella Murchison won big at the Rio Grande Valley Sports Hall of Fame Awards ceremonies last night in Harlingen. She took home the Sub-Class 6A Girls Athlete of the Year award for the third time in a row.…June 12, 2015In “News”From the Past: BHS wins Volleyball titleBy RENE TORRES Special to the Parade In 1895, William G. Morgan, an instructor at the YMCA in Holyoke, Mass., created a game for his businessmen classes that demanded less physical contact than any other sport. It was then that “Volley Ball” was born. On July 7, 1896 at Springfield…February 23, 2012In “Opinion & Advice”State of sports: UIL announces fall scheduleBy DAVID LOPEZ & GAIGE DAVILA editor@sbnewspaper.com editor@portisabelsouthpadre.com After several weeks of will they or won’t they, football, volleyball, tennis, and cross country practices and games are slated to begin in August for 1A-4A conferences. This includes Point Isabel ISD and Rio Hondo ISD.  However, for San Benito CISD, a…July 24, 2020In “News” Sharelast_img read more

Continue reading

Argos Rise To No. 17 In D2SIDA, NABC Polls

first_img#ARGOS#Print Friendly Version PENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida men’s basketball team (20-3, 12-3 GSC) rose in both the D2SIDA and NABC polls this week. Following impressive wins over the weekend vs. Lee and Shorter, the team rose to No. 17 in both polls.West Florida got back on track with an 82-74 win over the Lee Flames (12-9, 7-7 GSC) Thursday in the UWF Field House. Darryl Tucker turned in a historic performance, scoring a career-best 33 points (11-14 FG, 1-1 3-PT FG, 10-15 FT) while pulling down 17 rebounds in 29 minutes of work. Henri Ventoniemi added 15 points (5-9 FG, 5-5 FT) in 18 minutes.The team followed that up with another impressive performance over the weekend. The then-20th ranked Argos had six players in double figures and tied the school record for wins in a season with a 97-55 win over Shorter in Pensacola Saturday.The No. 17 Argos rose eight spots in the latest D2SIDA poll after entering tied for 25th last week. The Argos have been ranked in the Top 25 in every D2SIDA poll since Nov. 28, meaning the team has now been ranked in the Top 25 for nine straight polls. UWF garnered 117 points in the latest poll, close to 100 more than last week.UWF rose three spots in the latest NABC poll from No. 20 to No. 17. The Argos originally entered the NABC Top 25 Dec. 5, when they were ranked No. 25, and have remained in the Top 25 ever since. UWF garnered 159 points in this week’s poll.No. 17 UWF is currently two games behind Valdosta State (21-2, 14-1 GSC) in the battle for first place in the Gulf South. Valdosta State cracked the Top 10 in the latest NABC poll, checking in at No. 9. The team also came in at No. 9 in the latest D2SIDA poll. Valdosta State and West Florida were the only GSC teams to receive votes in either poll.UWF will meet the Auburn Montgomery Warhawks (9-14, 5-10 GSC) at the AUM Athletics Complex at 8:00 p.m. on Feb. 8 and then head to Carrollton, Ga. for a 4:00 p.m. ET/3:00 p.m. CT contest at The Coliseum Feb. 10 vs. the Wolves (11-11, 6-9 GSC).For the latest information on the men’s basketball program, follow the team on Twitter @UWFMensBBall.last_img read more

Continue reading

JR East Kampanyekan Penggunaan Eskalator Bagi Penumpang

first_imgJR East bagikan selebaran kampanye penggunaan eskalator (japantimes.co.jp) Kecelakaan di eskalator kerap kali terjadi, bahkan hingga membuat penggunanya meninggal, seperti keelakaan di eskalator stasiun. Hal ini kemudian membuat East Japan Railway (JR East) meluncurkan kampanye keselamatan menggunakan eskalator di stasiun-stasiunnya.Baca juga: Akibat ‘Diseruduk’ Koper Besar, Penumpang Kereta Bawah Tanah Ini Cedera SeriusKabarPenumpang.com melansir dari laman japantimes.co.jp (23/7/2018), peluncuran kampenye ini dikarenakan tahun 2017 kemarin sebanyak 180 kecelakaan terjadi pada eskalator yang menyebabkan luka bahkan beberapa tewas karena hal tersebut. Adanya kampanye ini ternyata karena pertama kalinya perkeretaapian mengungkapkan penghitungan kecelakaan di eskalator. Kampanye ini menyerukan agar penumpang menggunakan pegangan tangan dan ini akan dikampanyekan lebih dari 50 jalur kereta api di seluruh Jepang hingga akhir Agustus 2018 ini. Karyawan JR East di Stasiun Tokyo pada hari Senin (23/7/2018) terlihat membagikan selebaran yang meminta komuter untuk menggunakan pegangan tangan.“Kami harus memastikan tidak ada kecelakaan yang terjadi sehingga penumpang bisa sampai ke tujuan tanpa masalah. Kami meminta pengertian dan kerja sama mereka, ”kata Yuya Mochitate, seorang pejabat JR East yang bertanggung jawab atas kampanye eskalator.Diketahui, adapun pada Juni 2008 lalu, seorang pria mabuk terjatuh dari eskalator di Stasiun Shinbashi di Tokyo. Kemudian Maret 2009, seorang wanita berusia 50-an meninggal karena syalnya menyangkut di eskalator dan menjerat lehernya di Stasiun Mito di Prefekur Ibaraki.Desember 2010 lalu, orang-orang terjatuh seperti domino di Yokohama ketika seorang wanita naik eskalator di Stasiun Hodogaya dan tiba-tiba terjatuh kebelakang saat akan sampai di atas dan menyebabkan empat orang lainnya jatuh hingga membuat luka di punggung dan lutut mereka.Baca juga: Di India, Pengguna Lift dan Eskalator Mendapat Perlindungan AsuransiDi Cina beberapa waktu lalu, seorang wanita 50 tahun terjatuh karena terseruduk koper yang terlepas dari pemilikinya. Saat itu wanita tersebut tengah melihat ponsel dan tak sadar akan koper besar yang meluncur bebas.Atas kejadian ini, wanita tua itu dibawa ke rumah sakit karena terluka di bagian kepala dan tangan. Padahal pelarangan membawa barang besar dengan eskalator sudah ada dan harus menggunakan lift.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Like this:Like Loading… RelatedLaju Eskalator Stasiun Bawah Tanah Terlalu Kencang, Manula di Perth Kerap Jadi Korban29/09/2017In “Darat”Siap Operasikan Kereta Nirawak, JR East Hadapi Serangkaian Kendala14/08/2018In “Featured”Antisipasi Serangan dari Penumpang, Petugas Kereta di Jepang Dibekali Peralatan Anti Huru Hara01/08/2019In “Featured”last_img read more

Continue reading

Board of Fish Releases 2016-17 Proposal Book

first_imgProposals may be downloaded off the board’s website individually, in sections, or for entire meetings. The website is: http://www.boardoffisheries.adfg.alaska.gov. Statewide King and Tanner Crab and Supplemental Issues (Except Southeast and Yakutat)March 20–24, 2017Coast International Inn, Anchorage Lower Cook Inlet FinfishREVISED DATES: November 30–December 3, 2016Alaska Islands and Oceans Visitor’s Center, Homer The Board of Fisheries is still scheduled to hold a October 2016 work session in Kenai. Kenai City Manager Rick Koch… Proposals in the book will be reviewed at the following 2016–2017 meetings: Upper Cook Inlet FinfishFebruary 23–March 8, 2017Sheraton Anchorage, Anchoragecenter_img Kodiak FinfishJanuary 10–13, 2017Best Western Kodiak Harbor Convention Center, Kodiak The proposals constitute proposed regulatory changes for the identified regions and species. Koch: “It will be a two day work session and residents of the peninsula will be able to provide testimony during one day. [Typically] the work sessions do not have public involvement for testimony other than written.” FacebookTwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The Alaska Board of Fisheries has released the 2016–2017 Proposal Book, which contains 276 proposals on various Southcentral fisheries.last_img read more

Continue reading

QPR set to complete signing of Washington

first_imgQPR expect to complete the signing of Peterborough striker Conor Washington later today.Rangers have agreed a fee of £2.5m for the 23-year-old, who could make his debut against Wolves on Saturday.A number of other Championship clubs are keen on him but Washington has indicated that he intends to go through with a move to Loftus Road. AdChoices广告He has scored 15 goals this season and 34 in total for Peterborough since being signed from Newport County two years ago.QPR want to add to their squad during this month’s transfer window, with manager Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink particularly keen to sign a left-back and at least two strikers. Click here for the latest QPR transfer speculation Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook See also:Striker Washington set for QPR medicalQPR plan to loan Gladwin out againStriker Washington completes £2.5m QPR moveQPR’s Gladwin joins Bristol City in three-month loan deallast_img read more

Continue reading